Easy Vegan Spicy Peanut Soup with Fresh Mung Bean Sprouts (recipe)
Made on a rainy night, this spicy vegan peanut soup was a cinch to throw together. The flavours of peanut and ginger combine to create a spicy, sweet and silky texture and the crisp, cool crunch of the bean sprouts prevents the overall flavour profile from ever becoming cloying. This is a rather non-traditional (in this part of the world) take on comfort food. Although I used supermarket beansprouts when I first made it, now that I have started sprouting my own beans, I can’t wait to give it another try. I’ll be posting a guide to sprouting your own beans, and the health benefits of doing so in an upcoming post, so stay tuned! Until then, enjoy this simple pleasure!
Easy Vegan Spicy Peanut Soup with Fresh Mung Bean Sprouts
1 cup peanut butter
2 tbs. oil
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tbs. fresh ginger, grated
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 liter vegetable bouillon
1 tbs. tomato paste
1 tbs. sugar
100 grams fresh mung bean sprouts
1. Heat the oil in a sauce pan. Add the chopped onions and saute until glassy.
2. Add the garlic and lightly brown.
3. Add the vegetable bouillon and the peanut butter and stir well to mix.
4. Add the tomato paste and spices and allow to simmer until warm and well blended.
5. Season to taste with salt, Tabasco and a pinch of sugar.
6. Just before serving add the fresh mung bean sprouts do not cook the bean sprouts, as their crunchiness adds a nice contrast to the smooth spiciness of the soup
This post was originally published January 13, 2009. It has been updated once since then.