- TriniGourmet.com - http://trinigourmet.com -
Curried Pumpkin and Rice (recipe)
Posted By Sarina On January 3, 2007 @ 12:56 am In gluten free,pareve,rice,sides,vegan,vegetarian | Comments Disabled
This dish came up as a whim on my part. I quite like it and think it makes an attractive side to a meat entree. It’s also great all by itself (as I sometimes have it) Because it’s vegetarian in nature I think it may also be a great addition to the menus of any of you who may be planning Tu B’Shevat seders . I’ll be featuring more vegetarian dishes in the run-up to this fun and super-healthy Jewish holiday!
Curried Pumpkin and Rice
Serving Size: 4 -6
1 1/2 – 2 lbs. pumpkin, peeled and diced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 cloves, garlic minced
sea salt and pepper
1 onion, finely diced
3 teaspoons curry powder
2 cups, rice
2 tablespoons chadon beni/cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup pimentos, chopped
1. Pour oil into large pot, heat on medium-high
2. Add onions, pimentos and curry powder
3. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes
4. Add chopped pumpkin and garlic.
5. Season liberally with salt and pepper
6. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
7. Bring 3 cups water to boil while pumpkin cooks
8. When 15 minutes are up add 2 cups of rice to pot.
9. Stir to coat, toasting slightly for about 3 minutes
10. Add 3 cups of hot/boiling water
11. Bring pot to a boil
12. Stir, cover, and reduce heat to low
13. Test after 30 minutes for doneness
14. Adjust seasonings.
15. Stir and ‘mash up’ the pumpkins chunks slightly.
16. Stir in chopped cilantro.
Article printed from TriniGourmet.com: http://trinigourmet.com
URL to article: http://trinigourmet.com/index.php/curried-pumpkin-and-rice/
URLs in this post:
 Tu B’Shevat seders: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_B%27shevat
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Sarina: http://trinigourmet.com/index.php/author/sarinanow/
 "Glam By Request: 30+ Easy Caribbean Recipes": http://www.GlamByRequest.com
All text and images copyright TriniGourmet.com unless stated otherwise