- TriniGourmet.com - http://www.trinigourmet.com -
Jamaican Sorrel Rum Punch (recipe & video)
Posted By Sarina On December 4, 2012 @ 10:45 am In beverages,gluten free,pareve,vegan,vegetarian | Comments Disabled
When I first made this in 2006 it was my first time using a pack of dried sorrel for a recipe. I was pleasantly surprised. If you allow it to steep overnight the results are pretty good. The below recipe is my adaptation of the Jamaican Sorrel Rum Punch Recipe at Epicurious.com . Because the pack of dried sorrel that I bought already has cloves added, as well as chunks of cinnamon bark I didn’t need to add any additional flavorings. If you can locate packs like these I highly recommend it.
JAMAICAN SORREL RUM PUNCH (adapted from the following recipe at Epicurious.com )
1 pack pre-spiced dried sorrel -OR- 2 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) dried sorrel calyxes
Two 1-inch cubes of peeled fresh ginger, chopped fine
3 whole cloves (omit if using a pack with spices)
5 3/4 cups water
3 cups sugar
1 amber/dark rum
2 cups ice cubes, or to taste
Lime and orange slices for garnish
1. In a heat-proof bowl combine the sorrel, the ginger and the cloves.
2. In a saucepan bring 5 cups of the water to a boil, pour it over the sorrel mixture, and let the mixture steep overnight.
3. While the mixture is steeping, in a small saucepan bring the remaining 3/4 cup water and the sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, and let the syrup cool.
4. Strain the sorrel liquid into a pitcher, discarding the solids, stir in the sugar syrup, the rum and the ice cubes, and garnish the punch with the lime and orange slices.
Makes about 8 cups/2 bottles
Watch me talk about, as well as make a batch of sorrel on the second episode of “Sweet Han’: Caribbean Cooking with Sarina”
This post was first published December 28, 2006. It has been updated three times since then.
Article printed from TriniGourmet.com: http://www.trinigourmet.com
URL to article: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/ole-year-offerings-2006-jamaican-sorrel-rum-punch/
URLs in this post:
 Trini Christmas: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/series/trinixmas/
 Carmen’s Jamaican Ginger Beer (recipe): http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/ginger-beer/
 Trinidad Pastelles (recipe) now with Delicious Vegan Option!: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/pastelles/
 Punch de Creme (recipe): http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/punch-de-creme/
 QUICK GINGER BEER Recipe at Epicurious.com: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/quick-ginger-beer-recipe-at-epicuriouscom/
 Jamaican Sorrel Rum Punch Recipe at Epicurious.com: http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/holiday/christmas/recipes/200629
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Sarina: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/author/sarinanow/
 "Glam By Request: 30+ Easy Caribbean Recipes": http://www.GlamByRequest.com
All text and images copyright TriniGourmet.com unless stated otherwise