As seen on the fifth episode of “Sweet Han’: Caribbean Cooking with Sarina” here is Q’s recipe for spicy, flavourful Trinidad Geera Chicken!
Q’s Geera Chicken
3 1/2 – 4lbs chicken parts cut into 10 or more pieces (Q chops the parts into bite-sized pieces, bone in & skin on)
Angostura bitters (optional)
green seasoning (optional)
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons whole geera (cumin), toasted and ground -OR- 3 tablespoons powdered geera (cumin)
2 tsp ground masala
1 1/2 tsp madras curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Dry Green Seasoning
11 cloves garlic
2 sprigs fresh thyme
5 leaves chadon beni (culantro)
3 stalks chive
1 inch ginger, peeled
1/2 cup boiling water
1 scotch bonnet pepper
1. Marinate chicken with 2 tablespoons green seasoning 2 hrs to overnight.
2. Chop dry green seasoning ingredients to medium consistency, set aside.
3. Heat large iron pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
4. Add whole geera (if roasting your own) and spread across base in even layer. If using already ground cumin skip ahead to Step 7.
5. Leave seeds for 3-5 minutes until smoke starts to appear and the seeds have started to blacken.
6. Remove seeds from pot and grind to a coarse powder using a spice grinder (or do like Q and crush the seeds between foil using a glass bottle as a rolling pin 🙂 )
7. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to Dutch oven.
8. Add whole garlic cloves. Allow them to blacken and infuse the oil until the oil has turned golden.
9. Remove the cloves and discard.
10. Add the roasted geera and reduce the heat to medium.
11. Add the chicken pieces, turning to coat with the spices.
12. Add the chopped dry green seasoning, salt and pepper, still turning to coat.
13. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
14. Add masalas and curry powder, turning to coat again.
15. Adjust chicken pieces so that as many pieces as possible are touching the base skin-side down.
16. Leave the pieces in place for 8-10 minutes.
17. Add 1/2 cup boiling water and scotch bonnet pepper.
18. Cover with tight fitting lid for 12-15 minutes.
19. Remove lid and let the sauce that is created cook down for approximately 5 minutes. (Chicken meat should start falling off the bone at this point.)