- TriniGourmet.com - http://www.trinigourmet.com -
Sarina’s French Toast Tuna Sandwiches (recipe)
Posted By Sarina On February 17, 2011 @ 10:39 am In breakfast,brunch,dairy,fish,snacks | Comments Disabled
It often happens that culinary inspiration hits me late at night. Although this is great for my confidence, it’s not so great for my waistline The other night, as I was relaxing to a new episode of Jersey Shore (don’t judge me!) I started to get a craving for fried goodness. Maybe it was the boardwalk scenes, maybe it was the platters of home fries, but before I knew it I started to think about what I chomp on with little more than some tins of tuna fish and salmon on hand.
The result was this – French Toast Tuna Sandwiches! As soon as I mentioned it several people on Twitter asked me to share the recipe. I rarely post the snacks I make for quick consumption because I figure they are not really ‘recipe-worthy’, but maybe I’m wrong? Either way, here it is. The recipe reflects my current fascination with combining sweet and savoury flavours. As with most snacks, treat this recipe as a template and go ahead and make it your own. It’s infinitely flexible and will work with whatever you have on hand with regards to seasonings, herbs, even the type of tinned fish!
Sarina’s French Toast Tuna Sandwiches
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 slices bread (you want a sturdy bread that won’t disintegrate upon soaking)
1 7oz. tin tuna
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon honey
finishing salt or sea salt (click here to see my favourite )
1. Combine egg, evaporated milk, water and sugar
2. Butter both slices of bread
3. Combine tuna, parmesan cheese and mayonnaise.
4. Season tuna mixture with salt and pepper to taste
5. Spread each slice (on buttered side) with about 1 tbsp tuna mixture per side (save the extra for other sandwiches )
6.Pair both slices to form the sandwich.
7. Preheat a small frying pan or skillet over medium heat and melt 1 – 2 teaspoons of butter
8. Dip both sides of sandwich in egg & milk mixture (about 8 seconds per side – use a spatula to help you turn the sandwich, it keeps it from breaking!)
9. Transfer sandwich to pan. Cook about 90 seconds per side – it’s ready to turn when heated side is crisp and has lovely dark brown streaks running through.
10. Transfer sandwich to plate and drizzle top with 1 tsp of honey
11. Sprinkle with a slight dash of finishing sat or sea salt (table salt will work too but the flavour won’t be as complex).
12. Slice diagonally.
This recipe is an exclusive TriniGourmet original. Please do not share it or post it to your site without crediting TriniGourmet.com  and linking back to this site
Article printed from TriniGourmet.com: http://www.trinigourmet.com
URL to article: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/sarinas-french-toast-tuna-sandwiches-recipe/
URLs in this post:
 click here to see my favourite: http://astore.amazon.com/trinigourmetc-20/detail/B000EQSAIY
 TriniGourmet.com: http://TriniGourmet.com
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Sarina: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/author/sarinanow/
 "Glam By Request: 30+ Easy Caribbean Recipes": http://www.GlamByRequest.com
All text and images copyright TriniGourmet.com unless stated otherwise