I expanded this one dish meal from a recipe in one of those little checkout aisle booklets that my mom has held on to from the 70’s 🙂
We served it with a crisp vegetable salad on the side. I think it’s a pretty flexible recipe and if there are chopped vegetables you want to use up and throw into the layers you should totally do that, I know I will 😀
This post was originally published April 4, 2007. It has been updated once since then.
4 large irish potatoes
7 oz can tuna, drained and flaked
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1. Put potato slices, tuna and onion slices in alternate layers in a greased casserole dish ending with a layer of potatoes. (Tip: before starting a new potato layer sprinkle the dish with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, also if using additional vegetables place those in a separate layer 😉 )
2. Combine evaporated milk with milk, salt and paprika and pour into casserole.
3. Sprinkle top with some salt.
4. Bake in 400 degree oven for 35 minutes
5. Sprinkle top generously with coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper upon removing from oven
I used this very colorful pre-filled pepper mill sent to me by a reader 😀
For more recipes like this check out the General Cookbook section of Veni Mangé – The Trinigourmet Amazon Bookstore 🙂