Baked Melongene and Tomato With Cheese [Recipe]
I don’t know about you, but the time is always right in my book for comfort food! This recipe for Baked Melongene and Tomato with Cheese from Trinidad’s culinary pioneer, Sylvia Hunt, ticks all the boxes. Warm? Check! Gooey? Check! Affordable ingredients? You definitely want to check this vegetarian casserole out!
Give it a try!
- 2 large young melongene (eggplant)
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 4 red and green sweet peppers, sliced
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry melongene
- Cut into 1/2″ slices with skin intact.
- Butter casserole and sprinkle with a layer of grated cheese.
- Arrange a layer of melongene slices over and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Top with a layer of other vegetables separated by sprinklings of cheese repeating process until casserole is filled.
- Lastly top with a layer of grated cheese, then arrange tomatoes around dish.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake at 350ºF for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle curly parsley over (optional), and serve hot.