I came up with this recipe for Episode 6 of “Sweet Han': Caribbean Cooking with Sarina”. All who had it dubbed it an instant fave from the very first bite. It combines all the elements that I consider essential to successful salad, color, contrasts and texture. In this case, highly seasoned potato ‘croutons’ dance on a bed of baby spinach, accompanied by juicy mandarin orange segments. Drizzled with a mango chutney dressing, you truly have an explosion of sweet, sour and spicy that is sure to intrigue and delight!
Watch me make Cumin Potato, Orange & Spinach Salad with Mango Chutney Dressing on Episode 6 of “Sweet Han': Caribbean Cooking with Sarina”!
Cumin Potato, Orange & Spinach Salad with Mango Chutney Dressing
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled
2 tbs olive oil
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp minced garlic
½ tsp minced ginger
cracked black pepper, to taste
1 10-oz tin mandarin orange segments, drained
Mango Chutney Dressing
6 tbs white balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbs mango chutney
½ tsp salt
1. Cover potatoes in a large pot with cold water.
2. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 25-30 minutes until tender.
3. Drain and refrigerate (2 hours minimum)
4. Dice potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
5. Heat oil in pan on medium heat.
6. Add cumin seeds and sauté for 1 minute.
7. Turn heat to medium low, add curry and cumin powders, ginger and garlic.
8. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
9. Add potato, stirring to coat, sprinkling with ½ tsp of salt and black pepper.
10. Turn heat to medium-high and pan fry until potatoes are golden brown and crispy (10-12 minutes).
11. Sprinkle with remaining ½ tsp salt.
12. Set aside to cool.
13. Prepare salad dressing.
14. To serve: Prepare a bed of spinach. Arrange orange segments around edge. Pile potatoes in middle. Drizzle with chutney dressing.
This recipe is an exclusive TriniGourmet original. Please do not share it or post it to your site without crediting TriniGourmet.com and linking back to this site