Festive Chicken Fried Rice
What do you do when your pantry is nearing critical shortages and you only have a little bit of chicken in the fridge? Cook up a quick, filling, and EXTREMELY tasty fried rice! The mushrooms, chicken, and rice can all be prepared the night before or in advance to speed things along. It goes together -very- quickly and is a favorite in my home! 😀
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound boneless chicken breasts
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons Asian spice mix (I always have some of this mixed up and on hand) or Chinese five-spice powder
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 pound dried shiitake mushrooms and/or black fungus, stemmed and thinly sliced
1/4 cabbage, cored and thinly slices
2 small carrots, shredded (a couple of handfuls)
1 cup onion, halved vertically and sliced into thin half-moons
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated or minced
1/3 cup tamari (dark soy sauce)
1. Soak the shiitakes and/or fungus in a bowl of boiling water for 30 minutes
2. Remove shiitakes and/or fungus from bowl, reserving 1/4 cup of the soaking liquid
3. Slice the shiitakes (after stemming) and/or fungus very thinly
4. Rub the chicken breasts with the juice of 1 lime and slice thinly. Season with salt, pepper and Asian spice mix (or the five-spice powder) and put in the fridge for 30 minutes minimum.
5. In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and 3/4 cup water to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover and cook over low heat for 18 minutes. Fluff with a fork and place in a large bowl to cool. (I place the bowl in the freezer to speed the process, stirring the rice at intervals)
6. In a large, deep nonstick skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. ; Add the chicken to the pan and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
7. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet, then add the eggs and scramble for 2 minutes. Push the eggs to the side of the pan, add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and lower the heat to medium. Add the mushrooms, onion and carrots and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
8. Add the scallion, cabbage, garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute.
9. Add the cooked rice and crisp it for a couple of minutes. Stir in the tamari, reserved mushroom liquid and reserved chicken.
Makes 4-6 servings