Coconut Bake (recipe)
Mmmm freshly baked coconut bake! There are -definitely- worse ways to plow deeper into the work week! Coconut bake is a hearty, versatile quickbread that is a welcome addition to the breakfast table but equally enjoyable throughout the day.
- 2 cups Flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ounce margarine
- ¾ cup grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup ice water
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Rub in the fat, then stir in sugar and grated coconut.
- Add water, and mix into a firm dough.
- Turn out onto floured board, knead lightly, shape into a ball and leave covered for 15-20 minutes. 5. Press into the center and using a rolling pin, roll into a circular shape about ¾” thick.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Decorate the dough with fork or knife marks.
- Put onto a flat, greased baking sheet and bake till brown for about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Cut into desired shape 2-3 inches wide.
- Serve hot, attractively arranged on a flat dish.
Want to try more Caribbean bread recipes? Here are some popular ones!