This post was originally published September 1, 2008. It has been updated once since then
I call these my Independence Day Sugar Cakes because I have foregone the traditional colors of pink and white, for our national colours of red, white and black. Despite the name I dare say they’ll be great for Republic Day, any day of national celebration, heck, year-round! The results were so beautiful and delicious that I think even the most ardent purist would be won over 😉 For the ‘black’ I chose dark chocolate sprinkles, and can I say the combination of chocolate and coconut is out of this world! (Tip: add the sprinkles before the mixture cools too much so that they will adhere). Let me know what you think!
Sarina’s Independence Day Coconut Sugar Cakes
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon angostura bitters
1/2 cup water
1 cup grated coconut
red food colouring
dark chocolate sprinkles “hagelslag”
1. Divide sugar, water, bitters and coconut into two pans
2. Add red food colouring to one pan until desired shade is reached.
3. Heat each pan to boiling until mixture pulls away from sides of pan, stirring consistently.
4. Pour red mixture into bottom of pour a greased 8×8 pan
5. Spread and smooth with a knife
6. Pour white mixture over the red
7. Spread and smooth with a knife
8. While still hot cover with chocolate sprinkles
9. Cool and cut into 2 in. squares.
It is traditional to dye half the mixture pink However in honour of Independence Day I decided to start a tradition of my own! 😀
This recipe is an exclusive TriniGourmet original. Please do not share it or post it to your site without crediting TriniGourmet.com . A link back to our site is not necessary but always appreciated