Butternut Squash Soup With Ginger (recipe)
Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger
Source: Adapted fromBon Appetit
Yield: Serves 6
2 butternut squash (about 4 3/4 pounds total), halved lengthwise, seeded
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups thinly sliced onion
1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/2 cinnamon stick
5 cups (or more) canned low-salt vegetable broth
Chopped fresh parsley
Heavy cream (omit/substitute for vegan)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Oil baking sheet.
3. Place squash, cut side down, on baking sheet.
4. Bake until squash is very soft, about 50 minutes.
5. Using paring knife, remove peel from squash; discard peel.
6. Cut squash into 2-inch pieces.
7. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat.
8. Mix in onion, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon.
9. Cover pot and cook until onion is tender, about 15 minutes.
10. Add squash and 5 cups vegetable broth.
11. Bring to boil.
12. Reduce heat to medium-low.
13. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
14. Discard cinnamon.
15. Working in batches, purée soup in blender (or use an immersion blender).
16. Return soup to pot (if a standing blender was used).
17. Season soup with salt and pepper.
18. Bring to simmer, thinning soup with more broth if necessary.
19. Ladle into bowls.
20. Garnish with cream and parsley and serve.